When my daughter was 18 months old she began to have recurrent ear infections. (More on why they may have recurred in future articles!) I am speaking from experience when I say there is nothing like waking to the scream of a child at 2 A.M. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a quick and easy, safe, drug-free solution that would bring down the inflammation quickly and allow everyone to get back to sleep in short order? With a few homeopathic remedies on-hand the situation can turn from frustration and exhaustion to empowerment , pain relief and restored sleep in short order.
There are a few tried and true homeopathic remedies that stand strong on the front lines for earaches and inflammation. These include Aconite, Belladonna, Chamomilla, Silica, Pulsatilla, and Kali muriaticum. Most of these are readily available at health food stores, or in kits such as our HCH Custom remedy kit. We usually recommend that families have a remedy stash of either a prepackaged kit or the most common remedies for that 2AM wake up call! Good potencies to keep on hand would be a 6x, 6c, 30x or 30c of almost any of these remedies.
Here are some symptoms to look for that can point you to the correct remedy – and, yes, it’s okay to combine a few!
- Aconite is most useful in the first 24-48 hours of an illness, sudden, acute onset, child is anxious and fearful, external ear may be red, hot or swollen.
- Go for Belladonna when the earache is accompanied by fever, dilated eyes and swollen parotid glands. This is called for when a child cries out in his or her sleep. Belladonna favors the right-sided pain and symptoms.
- Chamomilla helps when ears feel stopped up. The child may be frantic with pain and desires to be carried, but often is so upset she doesn’t know what she wants and nothing seems to make her happy.
- Silica helps when there is a roaring sensation in the ears and can be useful when there is discharge from the ears. It is often very helpful for the ill effects of vaccination, which can often be the prelude to an earache for some.
- Kali muriaticum is the quintessential remedy for chronic ear congestion. It is especially supportive when there is fluid that is not draining well in the Eustachian tubes. Kali muriaticum is helpful to use for a week or two after an ear infection to ensure continued recovery and mitigate a recurrence. The best potency to use here is a 6X. It is even useful to prevent or relieve ear stuffiness from airline travel or similar altitude changes. We keep a few pellets in our carry-ons for just such occasions, as well.
It’s important to note that food allergies or intolerances contribute to or worsen the majority of ear infections. If your child is experiencing repeat earaches and inflammation it is worthwhile to take a close look at diet to make sure that is not the cause. An elimination diet of the most common offenders is worth considering. These foods may include wheat, corn, soy, dairy, and eggs. We usually suggest eliminating dairy completely as the first to try eliminating. Ear infection may also be linked to thumb sucking and pacifier use so be cautious of that as well.
When my children were young I was just learning homeopathy, and it was a life-saver for my family. There is nothing so empowering as watching a homeopathic remedy take effect. A child’s pain, anxiety and restlessness can resolve in seconds and back to sleep they go. So step out there and try it when life’s inevitable bumps in the road come up. Having a safe and affordable gentle drug-free solution can give you a good night’s sleep indeed.
Need a homeopathic remedy kit for your family? Call our office. We offer a custom-designed HCH 50-remedy kit, as well as first aid cream and muscle and joint pain. With those and a little know-how about self-care, it’s like having your own urgent-care clinic in your medicine chest.