You know the feeling—that odd sensation something isn’t quite right “down there.” Then you start to feel the urging, the pain … and you know you’ve got the dreaded urinary tract infection (UTI).
UTIs are extremely painful and can put you out of commission for a day or even a week.
That’s why we’re sharing 4 easy homeopathic remedies you can do at home to heal your UTI.
Before you read any farther, go get a HUGE glass of water and start pounding water while you read! Water intake is crucial for urinary problems.
And of course, if your symptoms are chronic, if they worsen or if you have extenuating circumstances such as a kidney transplant or diabetes, you should consult a healthcare professional, such as a homeopath or naturopath, and consult your doctor before undertaking any new approaches. Click below if you’d like to check out our professional Urinary Health Program.
The key is to match the symptoms to the remedy.
Remember, the real trick to homeopathy is to match the greatest number of symptoms with the best remedy that will relieve those symptoms. Little things matter, like when, where, and how it hurts, what makes it better or worse and even urine odor and color. The following are the most common UTI symptoms and the remedies to use to relieve them.
- For burning urine, use Cantharis. Burning urine includes the following symptoms:
- Burning pain that gets worse after emptying the bladder
- Pain focused in the urethra rather than in the bladder
- Itching and burning together in the urethra
- Urine that feels hot and looks cloudy
- Constant but useless urging followed by just a few drops of urine
When you are so frantic that you can’t think about anything but the pain, it’s time for Cantharis.
Cantharis is perhaps one of the most widely applicable urinary tract remedies because there are so many different symptoms that it relieves.
- For stinging pain, use homeopathic Apis mellifica 6x (honey bee). Stinging pain may be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Very hot urine that looks milky and has an offensive odor
- Very little urine each time you go
If this is you, pick up homeopathic Apis mellifica 6x (honey bee) at almost any health food store.
- For suppressed anger, use Staphysagria (stavesacre). If you are suppressing anger at someone or had an invasive procedure (including childbirth, a colonoscopy or a cystoscopy) just before the onset of your UTI, you need this remedy.It’s no secret that our mental state affects our physical state. Staphysagria, known in homeopathy as the best “honeymoon cystitis” remedy, will both help with the UTI and allow you to express the anger, let go of the grudge and move on!Because it can also help with the low backache from UTIs, either from referred pain or from inflammation of the kidneys, this remedy can help keep things under control while you wait to get in with a doctor or professional homeopath.
- If you have severe but dull pain not relieved by urination, use Equisetum. With severe but dull pain, there is often constant urging. While you may pass large quantities of urine, there is no pain relief from it. The urine is typically either clear or light-colored and profuse in quantity.Bonus: Equisetum can also be a good remedy for bedwetting in young and older children.There are a few other simple things you can do to help your UTI in conjunction with one of the above methods. First and foremost, drink lots of water. We recommend adding the juice of a quarter of a lemon or even a whole lemon to the water. The lemon soothes, adds antibacterial vitamin C and alkalizes, making your urinary tract less welcoming to bacterial invasion. To make the drink more palatable, you can add a few drops of stevia.
Vitamin C supplements are another great way to soothe your UTI. Finally, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus probiotics in general have been shown to help reduce the recurrence of UTIs and can shorten the duration of your attack.Remember, these remedies all work best with occasional UTIs.
If you frequently or chronically have to seek urinary tract relief, if you run a fever or if any of the above remedies don’t help after a couple of days, please click here to learn more about our urinary tract relief program that can help you find the long-term relief you need.